Rubens’ Adoration Of The Magi Cambridge

March 11, 2013 by  

Rubens’ Adoration Of The Magi Cambridge, Seven years after Major Allnatt presented Rubens’ masterpiece to the College, alterations to the East end of the Chapel were complete, and the canvas was ready to be re-framed and hoisted into position. The College Archives hold a range of records relating to the installation of the ‘Adoration of the Magi’, including Domus Bursar’s files relating to alterations to Chapel fabric and furnishings, 1963-69, and the Deed of Gift from Major Allnatt to the College, 21 November 1961.

King’s was founded in 1441 by Henry VI, soon after he had founded its sister college in Eton. However, the King’s plans for the college were disrupted by the Wars of the Roses and resultant scarcity of funds, and his eventual deposition. Little progress was made on the project until in 1508 Henry VII began to take an interest in the college, most likely as a political move to legitimise his new position. The building of the college’s chapel, begun in 1446, was finally finished in 1544 during the reign of Henry VIII.

King’s College Chapel is regarded as one of the greatest examples of late Gothic English architecture. It has the world’s largest fan-vault, and the chapel’s stained-glass windows and wooden chancel screen are considered some of the finest from their era. The building is seen as emblematic of Cambridge. The chapel’s choir, composed of male students at King’s and choristers from the nearby King’s College School, is one of the most accomplished and renowned in the world. Every year on Christmas Eve the Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols (a service devised specifically for King’s by college dean Eric Milner-White) is broadcast from the chapel to millions of listeners worldwide.

Report to Team

Please feel free to send if you have any questions regarding this post , you can contact on

Disclaimer: The views expressed on this site are that of the authors and not necessarily that of U.S.S.POST.


Comments are closed.