Top

Measles Epidemic In Swansea, Wales

April 19, 2013 by  

Measles Epidemic In Swansea, Wales, A man who died in Swansea had been suffering from measles at the time, says Public Health Wales.

The 25-year-old, named locally as Gareth Williams, was found dead at a flat on Thursday.

Public Health Wales (PHW), which is tackling an epidemic of more than 800 cases, said tests confirmed only that the man had measles at the time of his death.

A post mortem examination has yet to take place to confirm cause of death.

“Public Health Wales laboratory tests have today confirmed a diagnosis of measles in a 25-year-old male from Swansea who died on Thursday 18 April,” said Dr Marion Lyons, PHW’s director of health protection.

“Whatever the cause of death in this case, we should not be surprised if, as the outbreak grows, we start to see deaths in Wales”

End Quote Dr Marion Lyons Public Health Wales
Further investigations are being undertaken by the Swansea coroner to establish the cause of death.

If confirmed, it would be the first death in the measles epidemic.

“My sympathies are with the family at such a tragic time,” said Dr Lyons.

“Whatever the cause of death in this case we should not be surprised if, as the outbreak grows, we start to see deaths in Wales”.

Mr Williams’ body was discovered in a flat at Port Tennant Road, Swansea at about 08:15 BST on Thursday.

Earlier, police called the death “sudden and unexplained”.

Report to Team

_________________________________________
Please feel free to send if you have any questions regarding this post , you can contact on

usspost@gmail.com

Disclaimer: The views expressed on this site are that of the authors and not necessarily that of U.S.S.POST.

Comments

Comments are closed.

Bottom