Firefighter Dies Battling Blaze

July 7, 2014 by  

Firefighter Dies Battling Blaze, A New York City fire lieutenant has died after becoming trapped in a blaze as he searched for victims on an upper floor of a Brooklyn public-housing high-rise.

Lt. Gordon “Matt” Ambelas, a 14-year veteran of the FDNY, died at a hospital late Saturday night after he was pulled from the building unconscious, officials said.

The fire, which was ruled accidental, started in an air conditioner electrical cord pinched between a bed frame and a wall, Fire Commissioner Daniel Nigro said in a statement Sunday afternoon. Conditions were considered extremely dangerous because the apartment was extremely cluttered.

“We have lost a real hero,” Mayor de Blasio said at a news conference. “We’re all very fortunate to have the men and women of FDNY at the ready to risk their own lives so that each and every one of us can be safe. … We all mourn his loss.”

Nigro said: “Lt. Ambelas died doing what fire officers do, leading firefighters in search for life.”

Report to Team

Please feel free to send if you have any questions regarding this post , you can contact on

Disclaimer: The views expressed on this site are that of the authors and not necessarily that of U.S.S.POST.


Comments are closed.