Woman Queen Mary

December 7, 2011 by staff 

Woman Queen Mary, 8:10 p.m.-Update: The L.A. Coroner said it has just received the victim from the hospital, which reported the death as accidental. An investigator will be assigned in coming days and an autopsy performed to determine the cause of death.

1:00p.m.- Updates with Long Beach police department info, residency, other information.

A 26-year-old Long Beach woman plunged 75 feet to her death Monday night from a Queen Mary gangway, and witnesses told Patch that this followed an argument with a man who tried to hang on to her before she dropped into the cold water.

Nancy Pratt, spokeswoman for the Long Beach police department, said the woman was a Long Beach resident who had been drinking before she departed the ship via a gangway. Witnesses told police that she climbed the railing from which she fell. And Pratt and a Queen Mary spokeswoman said that a ship employee also had jumped in to save the woman.

The Los Angeles Coroner’s Office said at 1 p.m. Tuesday that the woman’s family has not been notified and her identity, thus, will not yet be released, and her cause of death not determined until a subsequent autopsy.

Long Beach Fire department spokesman Steve Yamamoto said four different people–a fireman, two police officers and her companion–jumped in to rescue her, most suffering hypothermia from the chilling sea water on the parking lot side of the ship. A fifth person, an employee of the hotel-dining visitor attraction, also tried to rescue her.

Earlier story: The woman, who was not identified, was rushed to a hospital but died there, the L.A. County Coroner’s Office said early Tuesday. The woman’s 40-year-old male companion made a 15-foot jump down into the water to reach her, Yamamoto said. The man was later fished out and hospitalized for hypothermia, his condition unknown by fire officials.

Two police officers also jumped in trying to rescue her and were treated for hypothermia at the ship. A fourth would-be rescuer–a Long Beach fireman who is also a swift water rescue team member and slid on a wetsuit–was able to get in and stay in longer. He attempted to keep the woman’s airway clear until she could be removed from the water, Yamamoto said.

The incident was reported at 8:35 p.m. Yamamoto said, but it was not clear yet exactly how the woman, who was not identified, ended up in the water.

Report to Team

Please feel free to send if you have any questions regarding this post , you can contact on

Disclaimer: The views expressed on this site are that of the authors and not necessarily that of U.S.S.POST.


Comments are closed.