Ut Austin

September 28, 2010 by Post Team 

Ut Austin, A gunman wearing a ski mask and brandishing a rifle into a library of the University of Texas at Austin today and shot several times before taking his own life, causing a blockage around the campus and fears that a second shooter may be released.

Shortly before noon, central time, a block of campus into force from 8 am rose, ending a search for a possible second suspect.

“The armed suspect is dead. There were no other injuries were reported,” UT President Bill Powers wrote in an email from the campus.

The shooter was found dead on the sixth floor of the library of wounds apparently, yes, police said.

An alert email and the text was sent to students and teachers around 8 am, like the first day classes began, warning that a “gunman was reported recently in Perry Castaneda Library” telling students to stay in place.

“I was walking to class, a little late,” said senior Robby Reeb “I was walking from the business school, and a man running past me screaming, ‘There’s a guy with a gun.” I looked up and saw a man with a ski mask, a suit and carrying an assault rifle. And I called 911. ”

Reeb said he was outside between two buildings and had to choose which one to enter to prevent the shooter.

Students said they heard bursts of gunfire. Police said the attacker was carrying an AK-47, a military combat rifle grade. Officials said there are actually two crime scenes: the library where the gunman was found dead, and an outer zone where fired shots into the air.

In a press conference police said they had not yet identified the shooter killed or determined a motive. Police later said the gunman was likely a student, but not yet identified.

The buildings near the library were immediately locked positions, while some classes at the opposite side of campus were dismissed, said Miriam Smith, 22, a senior at the school.

“I had a 8:00 a.m. this morning class and a student check Twitter and said there was a shooter on campus,” said Smith.

The area surrounding the library was cordoned off with yellow police tape. vehicles and heavily armed SWAT officers with automatic weapons patrolled the campus and bomb-sniffing dogs were brought in to determine if the explosives were left behind, police said.

Police said they received reports of Gumen placement of two different descriptions. They said they would work all drivers and clear all the buildings to determine that there was no second attack.

Police Chief Art Acevedo told a local radio station that “we have reports of a second suspect wearing a hat with a long rifle, dressed in jeans and a black top that we are looking for may or may not be a white male. ”

“We are conducting searches of construction. We need to clarify all the buildings in the immediate area. You can imagine that will take some time,” said Acevdo Mix 94.7. “Still looking for a second suspect, hopefully we’ll be able to get, if it exists.”

Once the police confirmed that the shooter had killed himself, students were warned to remain in place and not return to school: “If you’re out of school, stay away if you are on campus, the doors key, do not leave the building .. ”

The university was the scene of one of the shootings in the United States most infamous campus when Charles Joseph Whitman, a student and former Marine, killed 14 people and wounded 32 others in 1966. Whitman climbed 29 floors to the observation deck of the tower’s flagship school and began to pick up people with a rifle. He was shot by police over time. This was the second deadliest school shooting in U.S. after the slaughter at Virginia Tech in 2007.

Report to Team

Please feel free to send if you have any questions regarding this post , you can contact on

Disclaimer: The views expressed on this site are that of the authors and not necessarily that of U.S.S.POST.


Comments are closed.