US Open

September 9, 2011 by staff 

US OpenUS Open, Oh, to be a kid again. To play tennis on a court out of the way without a lot of people watching – in a field surrounded by trees and wind screens and a bit of shade, where the biggest distractions can be a crying baby or a kid trying to climb a fence.

For a few precious hours Thursday, Andy Roddick went back there again – the Court of 13 in Flushing Meadows, where he played the U.S. Open as a junior at the time for him was not about money or fame or TV shows or putting people in seats.

He came out a winner over fifth-seeded David Ferrer, then went back into the chaos that had left: U.S. Open 2011, where two days of rain has led to players complain loudly about how companies in tennis wins in Grand Slam tournaments and the organizers of the question to sacrifice their welfare in pursuit of the almighty dollar.

“I think it’s probably a good time to sit down and discuss how we would like to run the tour and we would like to take tennis,” said Andy Murray, told the twin problems – the programming problems that have affected this tournament and the lack of a players’ union to give them a stronger voice.

The sun came out again on Thursday, a day that included victories of all the most popular names – Murray, Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer and Serena Williams, among others – but it will be best remembered for the way the match Roddick- Ferrer began.

O is resumed, it is.

The day after the players were called to a court able to play for 15 minutes, officials Roddick and Ferrer put back in the Louis Armstrong Stadium than I imagined one day to make things right and on time.

Instead, after playing 10 minutes, Roddick saw water seeping through a crack behind the baseline. Roddick and Ferrer were sent back to the locker room while the technicians came out and worked on fixing the crack.

It did not work, and after over an hour, Roddick said the tournament referee Brian Earley, “put us at 13. Thirteen is open. Let’s play. I do not care where we play.”


And once the decision was made, hundreds of fans started to run off the court, hustling down the stairs and climb the stairs of metal, trying to get one of the 584 seats available for viewing beautiful Roddick, champion in 2003 and best-known U.S. active player, go against the fifth-best player in the world.

“You know, I do not think Court 13 was in my future,” Roddick said afterwards, “but probably could have promised that if he ever came to that, I was about to leave everything. But mitigating circumstances, I suppose. ”

Roddick won 6-3, 6-4, 3-6, 6-3, then celebrated by high-fiving fans in the first few rows in the intimate setting.

He made his first Grand Slam quarter-final from the Australia Open 2010, but must turn around and play Nadal in the rest less than 24 hours in the quarterfinals on Friday. Murray, who ended a streak of 22-year-old American Donald Young in straight sets, will face No. 28 John Isner, who won his match against No. 12 Gilles Simon.

Nadal was the most outspoken when a light fog greeted the players Wednesday morning and were nevertheless put on the court, although it was clear that the pitch was wet. Nadal came into the office that day Earley, along with Roddick and Murray, who agreed that things have not gone that way.

U.S. Organizers Tennis Association has not ruled out the possibility that, in order to conclude the tournament on Sunday, someone on the side of Nadal in the draw may have to play four best of five games in four days. But Thursday afternoon, which left that position. The final was rescheduled for Monday, giving all men at least a day of rest and marked the fourth consecutive year, the weather has been last year’s grand final scheduled completion.

Report to Team

Please feel free to send if you have any questions regarding this post , you can contact on

Disclaimer: The views expressed on this site are that of the authors and not necessarily that of U.S.S.POST.


Comments are closed.