Top

Strauss Kahn Rape Case Delay

July 27, 2011 by USA Post 

Strauss Kahn Rape Case DelayStrauss Kahn Rape Case Delay, Next court appearance former managing director of International Monetary Fund, Dominique Strauss-Kahn, on charges of sexual assault and attempted rape was postponed until August 23, the second time that New York prosecutors have delayed the hearing. Strauss-Kahn, 62, was scheduled to appear in state court in Manhattan on August 1, accused of assaulting a waitress at the hotel. Court appearance had been delayed from July 18 to allow further investigation. Strauss-Kahn, who is free while awaiting trial, has denied wrongdoing. “The investigation continues pending criminal case,” said Erin Duggan, a spokeswoman for Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr., yesterday in an emailed statement. “We have no further comment.”

Lawyers Strauss-Kahn, William Taylor and Benjamin Brafman, said in an emailed statement that denied its request for a postponement of Vance. “We hope that by August 23 that have reached the decision to dismiss,” he told defense lawyers in her statement. Kenneth P. Thompson, a former federal prosecutor who represents the plaintiff, said yesterday in a telephone interview that “soon” a civil lawsuit. The housekeeper of the hotel has given interviews to Newsweek and ABC to tell her story.

“He came forward because he got tired of hearing all the lies told about her and what happened in that room,” said Thompson.

The New York Post reported this month that she was a prostitute. It is not, Thompson said. Chief assistant Manhattan district attorney, Daniel R. Alonso said in a July 3 interview that prosecutors had no evidence to support the allegation.

Thompson has filed a defamation lawsuit on behalf of the accuser against NYP Holdings, Inc., a unit of News Corp. (NWSA) doing business as The New York Post, New York State Supreme Court in the Bronx. The Post said it maintains its information.

Thompson said yesterday that false statements of housekeeper in her asylum application should not allow prosecutors to pursue the case against Strauss-Kahn.

“His asylum application has nothing to do with the fact that she was violently attacked,” said Thompson. “She has not changed in any way about what happened in that hotel room.”

Strauss-Kahn grabbed the breasts of the maid and tried to pull down her socks, according to court documents. The former head of the IMF tried to rape and forced oral sex, according to the indictment.

Thompson, who as a federal prosecutor was involved in the case of police brutality involving 1997 Haitian immigrant Abner Louima, said the girl would not be the first assault victim making false statements.

“Abner Louima did not tell me and the prosecution team the whole truth in the beginning,” Thompson said. “He also made statements to the press that were not true. We did not leave because the evidence showed that he was sodomized in the bathroom of the station 70 in Brooklyn.”

Thompson said that Louima admitted making false statements, including the grand jury.

Louima retracted the claim that the officers said: “It’s Giuliani time” because he was tortured in 1997, referring to Rudy Giuliani mayor.

An officer admitted in court he got a broken broomstick into Louima’s rectum. He was later sentenced to 30 years in prison. Another officer was sentenced to prison for perjury.

According to a letter dated June 30 and presented in court by prosecutors in Manhattan, accuses Strauss-Kahn has lied to a grand jury about her actions immediately after the alleged attack on 14 May. The hotel’s housekeeper, 32, a native of Guinea also lied on tax returns and her asylum application, according to the letter.

The woman admitted in June that it had falsely stated that she was raped in Guinea, prosecutors said. That he had “wept and appeared noticeably upset” in two earlier interviews, when he recounts the rape, according to the letter of the prosecutors’ attorneys Strauss-Kahn.

Strauss-Kahn was released from house arrest July 1 after prosecutors said the case against him was wounded by the maid “major credibility problems.”

On July 19, prosecutors in Manhattan met with the French lawyer Banon Tristana writer, who has accused Strauss-Kahn, to seek its violation in Paris in 2003. David Koubbi, Banon’s lawyer, declined to comment on leaving the Manhattan District Attorney’s office after the meeting.

Banon may be interviewed by prosecutors in Manhattan, a person familiar with the case said after the meeting. The person, who was not authorized to speak publicly about a possible interview, declined to be identified.

Paris police are conducting a preliminary investigation into allegations of Banon. They have questioned people who told me about the incident spoke to corroborate her story, including her mother, the daughter of Strauss-Kahn, French socialist and politician Francois Hollande, to determine whether a full investigation into the attempted violation is justified.

Strauss-Kahn is a retired Air France flight from Port Authority police at the John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York on May 14, the day the alleged attack at the Sofitel in downtown Manhattan.

Strauss-Kahn, who pleaded guilty, resigned as head of the IMF, four days later. After being held for several days without bail, Strauss-Kahn was released on bail and 1,000,000 and 5,000,000 and bond and, until July 1, was forced to remain under armed guard and electronic monitoring. Considered a flight risk, could only leave his temporary home in Manhattan for legal purposes, medical and religious.

Report to Team

_________________________________________
Please feel free to send if you have any questions regarding this post , you can contact on

usspost@gmail.com

Disclaimer: The views expressed on this site are that of the authors and not necessarily that of U.S.S.POST.

Comments

Comments are closed.

Bottom