Singer Pink: Pink’s New Hair, Music
March 6, 2012 by staff
Singer Pink: Pink’s New Hair, Music, An Oregon toddler who complained to her parents about flu-like symptoms this week had actually swallowed 37 “Buckyballs” magnets, MSNBC reports. The doctors removed the magnets from Payton Bushnell’s intestines Monday, and she is expected to make a full recovery.
A package of Buckyballs and its warning label. (AP) In a statement on its Web site Tuesday, the maker of Buckyballs said it was “saddened” to learn about the incident, but that “this unfortunate incident underscores the fact that Buckyballs and Buckycubes are for adults. They are not toys and are not intended for children.” The company urged consumers to read and comply with the warnings on its products.
Those warnings haven’t kept many kids from getting a hold of the magnets, however. In January, The Post’s Lena Sun reported on a more serious incident involving Buckyballs:
Meredith DelPrete, 10, was at school one day and did something that she said is popular among kids her age: She pretended to have a pierced tongue. The Fairfax County fifth-grader took two magnetic balls from her pocket and placed one on top of her tongue and the other on the underside. The magnets, the size of a BB, are extremely powerful. They made it look like she had a stud. She opened her mouth to show a friend.
That’s when the silver orbs rolled off.
“I could feel them in the back of my throat. I tried to get them out, but I couldn’t. So I just swallowed them,” she said in an interview this week.
That accidental swallowing led to five days at Inova Fairfax Hospital, at least 10 X-rays, three CT scans and an endoscopy. Finally, on Jan. 20, a surgeon used a metal instrument to manipulate the magnets into her appendix, avoiding major surgery. He then removed her appendix, and the magnets, doctors said.
Please feel free to send if you have any questions regarding this post , you can contact on
Disclaimer: The views expressed on this site are that of the authors and not necessarily that of U.S.S.POST.