Retired 9/11 Cop Told To Take Down Flag

November 20, 2011 by staff

Retired 9/11 Cop Told To Take Down Flag, A retired New York City police officer living in Florida has been ordered to take down his flag commemorating September 11 by his homeowners’ association, WPLG reports.

Richard Wentz, who helped victims out of the World Trade Center on Sept. 11, 2001, has been told he has just days to take down his flag or face possible legal action.

“That flag means the world to me. Other than my children, that flag means the world to me,” said Wentz.

A letter from the Fairways at Heron Bay association said the flag detracts from the aesthetic harmony of the surrounding properties. Wentz said he was confronted by Patricia Favata, president of the property’s board of directors, according to the station.

No one was at Favata’s home when WPLG Local 10 tried to talk to her.

Wentz said he ran into Tower 1 and started pulling out people before the building collapsed. He said he lost 43 friends and colleagues that day.

Wentz says he now has cancer, from breathing in all the particles during the cleanup of Ground Zero.

“I will not take that flag down. That flag will remain up. I don’t care how many fines they want to give me, how many notices they want to give me, I refuse to take that down,” Wentz told the station.

Report to Team

_________________________________________
Please feel free to send if you have any questions regarding this post , you can contact on

usspost@gmail.com

Disclaimer: The views expressed on this site are that of the authors and not necessarily that of U.S.S.POST.

Comments

29 Responses to “Retired 9/11 Cop Told To Take Down Flag”

1. allan on November 21st, 2011 11:19 am

Favata ia an anti-patriot, probably self-absorbed beyotch, with crap for brains. F–k Favata.

2. Christina on November 21st, 2011 2:15 pm

What is this world coming to you can hang a flag in your own yard. Especially a flag with that much meaning. If you were there that day or the days following for the clean up it means that much more. People lost Loved ones, friend, & co-workers. Who is she to say he can’t hang that flag proudly. I being one that was there to volunteer in clean up would not take down that flag if it were mine.

3. Mark Rosenberg on November 21st, 2011 2:28 pm

Keep Your FLAG flying.Its people like her and those in your community that perpetuate the dispicable non action towards our troops and citezenry that put themselves out there for the greater good of the greedy immoral corprate pirates and there greedy pocket politicians that permeate our country.The 99% cant fail. They must persevere so we as citizens can fly our flags and show that we wont cower to the tactics they have used to turn this nation into the sheep we have become. The greatest generation built a strong nation only to let their children destroy it thru lack of respect of adults schools etc….. like lambs to the slaughter people continually follow along to the polls and vote in the same miscreants they have for the last 30 or 40 yrs. Term limits for congress a must.Either change the course of the country or wallow in its misery. Fly your flag sir. fly it proud and thank u for your determination on that fatefull day and God bless you for your continuing efforts. You did the right thing that day and you are carrying on for all of us now.His light shines on you always.Peace.

4. Kerwin Hieb on November 21st, 2011 2:34 pm

People like Fatava are exactly what’s wrong with this country today. They feel no pride with their country or flag and think only about superficial bull. I fully support Richard Wentz!

5. Gregg M. Etzel on November 21st, 2011 2:44 pm

Stick to your guns !!!! There is nothing more aesthetic than the site of an american flag !! God bless you in your fight !!!

6. Marvie Clark on November 21st, 2011 3:08 pm

Where will it end? Pride in our country should not be denegrated by self imposed
    demi-gods like HOAs. I for one am brought to tears when I see MY FLAG flying anywhere. I stand with this man and everyone like him. What would happen if someone decided to fly the flag of an Islamic country? Would Political Correctness over-ride all those restrictions????????

7. Lynn on November 21st, 2011 3:08 pm

Paint the garage door with the flag………..ya cant fix stupid, stick with it son, and god bless ya

8. Brentz Thompson on November 21st, 2011 3:41 pm

I wonder how they have determined that the flag disturbs the aesthetic harmony in that development. Maybe if that flag disrupts their “harmony”, it should be rethought.

9. moktavec@hotmail.com on November 21st, 2011 3:54 pm

What in the world is this country coming to . Whatever happened to freedom of speech which is in the constitution. If Mr Wentz wants to fly five flags on his own property he should be able to. Also while I’m at it speaking of freedom of speech why are they taking GOD out of everything. When the end comes don’t bother asking GOD for help because he will say “I never knew you” . Thank you Mr. Wentz for your brave service an dedication.
    GOD BLESS YOU.

10. George P. Wallace on November 21st, 2011 4:29 pm

I read somewhere that the HOA cannot enforce that as Federal Law permits you to fly the Flag at your residence. Under the federal Freedom to Display the American Flag Act of 2005, no condo, co-op, or homeowner association can restrict its owners from displaying the U.S. flag on their property. But there are exceptions. Associations are permitted to place reasonable restrictions on the time, place, and manner of the display to protect a “substantial” interest of the association. The bottom line? Federal law prevents associations from enacting blanket bans on flag flying but allows restrictions that are reasonable and necessary to protect owners’ interests in association property.

11. Steven Louk on November 21st, 2011 4:46 pm

Flying the U.S. Flag is a freedom of expression …. LET IT FLY IN THE WIND FOR EVER MORE …… Those who surpress that freedom surpress us ALL !!!!!

12. Laura on November 21st, 2011 5:00 pm

I can see both sides. If you allow one person to break the rules, what’s to stop someone from hanging a Nazi flag? Can’t he just hang the flag inside instead of outside? That way he can still honor the people lost and stay within the rules of the Homeowners Association.

13. carol on November 21st, 2011 5:10 pm

homeowners assoc. can go to blazes. he sacrificed his life that as so many others did. just eliminate the last two letters of the assoc. and you get what they are. if he can’t pay the fines i’m sure there are people out there that would help. i don’t have much but i’d be willing to help.

14. sethwolffe on November 21st, 2011 5:19 pm

No one should ever be forced to remove the US Flag if it’s hung properly and with respect!

If these homeowners feel the US Flag is an eyesore, maybe they need to live in another country.

15. Kevin on November 21st, 2011 5:22 pm

I also live in Florida and have an HOA to contend with. The HOA’s reasoning makes no sense because they lump all flags together such as Nazi flags and flags that have meanings that they (the board) do not agree with. Common sence is out the window with most HOA’s and this is an examaple of significant ignorance. Our flag is what we stand for. Should an HOA have the right to make rules that stamp out our country’s representation? I don’t think this is right, but I have seen it multiple times. I think it is time to remember what a patriot is in the United States of America.

16. BJ on November 21st, 2011 5:32 pm

SHAME on Fairways at Heron Bay association!!! Mr. Wentz has the FULL RIGHT to fly that flag. He among others should fly them proudly for what they did. What if it was one of your family or relatives that he saved? Would you still feel the same? How is flying OUR flag be an eyesore to anyone? Others in that association ought to fly a flag just to remember what the flag means. FREEDOM!! Bravery!! May it fly high forever.

17. HP on November 21st, 2011 5:32 pm

I have to wonder if Favata felt anything at all when the two towers fell or when that plane hit the Pentagon or when that plane went down in that field with all those people who just wanted to go home. Or is she just that self absorbed that she felt it an insult to her that the rest of America rose with pride to help heal the wounds that this country received that day.

I had once considered living at Heron Bay but picked anothre place to retire, I am sure glad I did because knowing that I have 6 brotheres who proudly served in the military and being married to a 30 year veteran I would find it a very hard pill to swallow if I could not fly a flag commemorating the lives of firefighters and police that were lost trying to help the people trapped.

18. Vanessa on November 21st, 2011 5:36 pm

Good for him! There are some things that HOAs are good for, but telling a patriot to remove a 9/11 commerative flag is not one of them. Keep up the good fight and know that you are being prayed for with your battle against the cancer that you got while saving so many.

19. Terry Wright on November 21st, 2011 6:02 pm

Mr. Favata is a true patriot and he should be given the upmost respect as a hero. The anti-americans are Heron Bay Association. Mr. Favata showed true heroism on the job. I salute you sir.

20. Rebecca on November 21st, 2011 6:22 pm

A flag really, they are fusing with this man about to take legal action with him over a flag. Not one that is hurtful in any kind of way, one that says alot for the victims of 9/11 and they want him to remove it. Who paid for the home, who pays his bills, how can you tell him what to do on his own property. The main reason I don’t want to live somewhere, where there is a home owners association, because I don’t agree with some of the dumb ace rules they have. Get a life and leave other’s to their own.. That flag is not bothering you but you are bothering it.. Fight about something worth fight for, that flag is not it..

21. Michelle Hardy on November 21st, 2011 8:14 pm

The Association and its counterparts should be ashamed. I hope they all rot in hell. WE WILL NEVER FORGET 9/11. FLORIDA NEEDS TO GET WITH THE PROGRAM, WAKE UP DOWN HERE FOLKS, ITS REALITY!

22. Michelle Hardy on November 21st, 2011 8:17 pm

Oh, and my mother-in-law was in the Pentagon was hit that day, let’s not forget. I think the sun has melted everyone’s brain down here. Take the flag down? Go bang yourself Association!

23. Beth on November 21st, 2011 8:19 pm

Keep it up. YOU deserve every right to keep it up and fly it proudly. She sounds like some foriegner there that is against us already. I do not think legally ONE person on the board can make this decision for all homeowners. IT has to be VOTED on number one, number two you have the right to call a homeowner meeting and have it voted on also. I know.

Hang in there fellow american and FLY that FLAG PROUDLY ; )

24. Bea Klaymeier on November 21st, 2011 8:26 pm

Good for Mr. Wentz. He shouldn’t have to take it down. If he saved one of her loved ones maybe she would appreciate him risking his life and possibly dying for them.

25. adam on November 21st, 2011 8:34 pm

wow, hope she dies. world would be a better place without her. And no…that is not a threat…i would just be elated if some natural disaster or “godly” event took place that resulted in her demise

26. David on November 21st, 2011 8:37 pm

I think that the Home Owners Association is run by a bunch of Communist idoits. I guess if you are a veteran and want to fly the American flag and your service flag you can’t because they have some idiot that never lifted a finger to help another on the board coming up with these stupid rules. Another reminder of why I won’t own any realistate that has an association.

27. missy summey on November 21st, 2011 8:57 pm

Go for it Mr. Wentz. We all know the homeowner’s association leader is being an ass. I mean, look at the first 3 letters of association. Allowances can be made for something like this. And I don’t believe your flag can detract from anything. I wish I lived right next door to you. I would be proud to look at your flag everyday and thank God for you being in this world. Do they make people take down their American Flags? It stands for a proud country and proud people who died defending your rights to fly your flag!!!!

28. Dean on November 24th, 2011 8:12 am

As a 27 year Air Force retired veteran I suggest that Patricia Favata along with all the association members hand in their passports as they do not deserve the privileges of being an American and immigrate to another country this weekend!

29. Debbie on November 24th, 2011 12:11 pm

All I can say is “This person that has told Mr. Wentz to remove the flag evidently has a issue with living in the USA and if that flag causes her PAIN, then maybe she should look into getting her VISA and leave the USA, immediately!!”
    This country was based on GOD, OUR FLAG, OUR MILITARY and those that don’t respect that, should NOT have the commfort of living in this place with FREE SPEECH and the LOVE MOST OF US HAVE FOR OUR COUNTRY!! So, KEEP THAT FLAG FLYIN!! IF We buckle down to what OTHERS want, then we loose our freedom in the long run! GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Bottom