October 18, 2010 by staff
Pukwudgies, If one of these theories have water, so Wilton must have ghosts in spades. The city is built on a huge quartz formation, and has enough tragic history of many other hot spots to ghost to shame.
To track the paranormal events that have taken place in this city, we must first go back to the late 18 century. In 1773, determined residents of Wilton, who needed a new chapel. In April of that year the town voted to give six barrels of rum, a barrel of brown sugar, half a box of lemons and two loaves of sugar in order to consolidate the men who would be the elevation of the building.
On September 7, people gathered around, eager for what was to be a day of celebration. Then things got really bad.
In the midst of construction, the beam broke loose central high, and 53 men fell 30 feet to the ground, followed by tons of beams and building materials. Five of the men died instantly and many others were permanently paralyzed.
Undaunted, the city tried to build the chapel again, but collapsed as well. It happened several times, and even a story that when the building was finished, there was a fire at a dance, trapping many of the musicians.
Well, that was it. Residents come to the conclusion that the place was Jinxed, and decided to build elsewhere. After that there were relatively few problems.
Not that occur most famous ghosts, however, this distinction has to belong to the Valley of the End cemetery, the oldest of the five burial places of the city. It is here that many devices have been met, including the famous “Lady Blue” Mary Ritter Spaulding.
According to Hill Hollow, www.hollowhill.com, a web site about ghosts by Fiona Broome, gave birth to seven children of their marriage in April 1795 and his death in 1808. Her husband, Isaac Spaulding, was a local tanner, which could trace its lineage to the original Jamestown settlers. She is buried with his second wife Spaulding, Mary Flynn Colburn, which could explain some of their anxiety. Cave Hill describes Mary Ritter Spaulding: “According to folklore, Mary Ritter Spaulding was a good woman, goes to church to be cured with herbs and prayer.”
No one is quite sure why they pursued the cemetery, but his dramatic performances in a beam of blue light has been a legend.
Official records show that Mary Lyman Spaulding last child was born in 1806. Paranormal investigators working on the site recently, however, managed to maintain contact with his spirit and is said to be haunted by the loss of his youngest son, James, born a year later.
There is no official documentation of the birth of this child, who seems lost in the mists of time.
Mary’s tomb is located almost on the edge of the forest in a desolate corner of the cemetery. Top of the stone has jumped in recent years and is now a peak point with jagged, irregular.
Local people regularly leave the offer for the spirit. The day had two blue baby shoes lying at the foot of the stone.
In fact, all sense of place is more sad than scary.
Perhaps this can explain the visits – nothing more than a woman afflicted constantly looking for his missing son.
Some of the other apparitions in the cemetery is not so benign.
It is the story of a slaughter, as told by the ghost of an Indian warrior called Sochemn that was channeled by a second group of ghost hunters.
According to the northeastern part of the Paranormal Research Society (www.neprs.com), in spirit testimony said 300 of his men had traveled south of Wilton to celebrate the wedding of one of their own to the daughter of a local chief. The white settlers who had built their houses along the river, not to welcome the arrival of the natives, and brought gifts with the intent to get moving together.
This was not actually taken, however, and the Indians only thought that white was hospitable. Planned to spend the winter there and back north in the spring.
According Sochemn things reached a critical point in the summer, the 1744th is interesting to note that residents in Wilton before felt so secure in their homes who can not even take the usual precautions to request a garrison for their protection. In that year, however, people will soon petition the British government to send reinforcements against the Indians.
The petition said: “We will ask you that we have a little help from the government to send us some Souldiers (sic) of the National Guard and Defense of us in its wisdom it deems appropriate.”
In accordance with the spirit, the troops were sent, and the tribe were slaughtered to the last woman and child. If there is any truth in this story is for speculation, and apparently no record of a slaughter in Wilton – but it was not surprising given the nature of the event.
What makes this story even more interesting is the appearance of a second unit at Vale End, which is not really a ghost, but more of a demon, both revered and feared by the Indians.
The creature is a Pukwudgie, a kind of troll than 3 meters high, straight out of the folklore of the Wampanoag nation, the dominant Indian tribe in Massachusetts and southern New England, according to an article by Christopher Balzano at www. masscrossroads.com. There have been numerous sightings of these creatures in the cemetery, often chasing the explorers poor at the gates of the burying ground. According to folklore, the opportunity to appear and disappear at will and are happy to lure mortals to their fate on the edge of the cliffs.
One might assume their appearance is the result of the Indian curse of the white settlers in response to the alleged slaughter.
Another mental hot spot is about half kilometer from Vale End cemetery, ie long Dell House, where Mary Ritter must have spent his childhood. Closed since 1930, the house has a bad reputation. One of the occupants apparently died on the roof, and after “numbers” were regularly seen standing in the windows.
A local paranormal investigator, recorded by the stories, decided to do a study on the ceiling. Unfortunately, he fell through a lawyer floors and through the kitchen floor and died in the basement. This states that joined other spirits around the house. If any of these allegations are true, is debatable, since the house is locked up tighter than a drum.
Moreover, the Wilton Police have more than a passing interest in keeping people in the end It’s night and patrol the area regularly. If you keep your visit to the light of day and instead of dealing with respect, you should be fine.
The last stop on this trip ectoplasmic leads to City Hall Theatre on Main Street.
The original town hall was burned on December 8 1859th The fire happened so fast that it formed a committee to identify the cause. The final report concluded the committee, was intentional:
“Taking into account all the evidence, the commission unanimously of the opinion that the fire was started by an arsonist. By whom the deed was done, have no means to define or form a reasonable assumption.”
The place was empty for over two decades until the construction of the new city hall in 1886. Now operated by Dennis Markaverich, which had been used as a theater for vaudeville acts and traveling shows. In 1912 he became a silent movie house, and now has two new films work and harvest.
The echo of the tragedy in the old town hall, however, has never completely disappeared after Souhegan paranormal investigators (www.souheganparanormalinvestigators.com).
In one of the stairs, the ghost of a child who is known as “Henry”, says he is looking for his parents, horrified by fire more than a century and a half ago. On the ground floor women’s bathroom is a woman with clothes that period to appear in the mirror. section of the upper floor is also haunted by a tall, thin male who makes her way through the seats.
Wilton is a quiet, small and beautiful on the banks of the Souhegan River at night, but it is clear that the restless spirits still live their bucolic streets.
Please feel free to send if you have any questions regarding this post , you can contact on
Disclaimer: The views expressed on this site are that of the authors and not necessarily that of U.S.S.POST.