Pen Stomach

December 21, 2011 by staff 

Pen Stomach, Doctors in the UK recently removed a felt-tip pen from a 76-year-old woman’s stomach that she inadvertently swallowed 25 years ago and were astonished to find it still works, MSNBC reported.

Describing the case in the journal British Medical Journal Case Reports, her gastroenterologist Oliver Waters explained the patient was suffering from weight loss and diarrhea. He diagnosed her as having severe diverticulosis, or pouches that have formed in the wall of the colon. Then a scan detected “a linear foreign body in the stomach.”

The woman recalled swallowing a pen by mistake years earlier, but X-rays done at the time found no trace of the pen, MSNBC reported.

The pen hadn’t caused her any gastric damage, the Daily Mail reported. In fact, the symptoms that prompted her to visit her doctor had spontaneously resolved. However, her medical team decided to remove the pen so that it wouldn’t perforate her stomach lining in the future.

According to MSNBC:

After bathing in stomach acid for a two-and-a-half decades, the pen was corroded and the plastic was flaky, but, amazingly, the pen still had usable ink and could write!

Report to Team

Please feel free to send if you have any questions regarding this post , you can contact on

Disclaimer: The views expressed on this site are that of the authors and not necessarily that of U.S.S.POST.


Comments are closed.