Occupy Canada Protests

November 24, 2011 by staff 

Occupy Canada Protests, The Occupy Toronto encampment has come to a peaceful end with protesters vacating the last occupied tent in St. James Park after a negotiated settlement with police.

Mayor Rob Ford said in a late afternoon news conference that he was proud of city staff and police for the job they did in the park on Wednesday, and warned protesters they would not be able to relocate.

“The protest is over and I’d like to keep it that way,” he said. “And if they do go to another park, we will ask them to leave immediately.”

That could mean another showdown with protesters.

Interviewed by CBC News on Wednesday morning, Misha Saunders said he and fellow Occupy protesters were weighing whether to move their encampment to another public space downtown. He said the presence of a protesters’ “village” is essential to the Occupy movement.

“It’s been a hub of activity for people who have a deep-rooted feeling that something must change,” he said. “That conversation is going to go to the living rooms, the coffee shops and the subways about how we will move forward in a meaningful way.”

As the downtown site was cleared, a handful of demonstrators tried to set up tents on grounds north of the Ontario legislature but police intervened quickly.

Police began dismantling the last of two yurts (large tents) in St. James Park just after 1 p.m. ET, a move that spelled the end of the encampment that began on Oct. 15.

Eleven people were arrested on Wednesday, but there were no violent clashes. Most were fined $75 for trespassing and released.

The camp’s final day began in the early-morning hours when more than 100 police arrived. Officers re-issued eviction notices and began removing tents on the fringes of the park.

Report to Team

Please feel free to send if you have any questions regarding this post , you can contact on

Disclaimer: The views expressed on this site are that of the authors and not necessarily that of U.S.S.POST.


Comments are closed.