Lanao del Norte attack

October 24, 2011 by staff 

Lanao del Norte attackLanao del Norte attack, The military said it suspected Moro rebels ambushed a military convoy in Lanao del Norte province Sunday morning, killing three government soldiers and wounded three others.

Army spokesman Major Harold Cabunoc said the attack on the 104th Brigade of the Army occurred around 11 am on Paran Road, Lanao del Norte.

Additional troops were sent to the area, the military official.

He said the gunmen are believed to be members of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF).

Before Sunday, a militant and four civilians were killed when an armed group launched an ambush in the town of Sumisip, Basilan, Sunday morning.

Cabunoc said eight civilians were wounded in the attack that occurred around 5:30 am in the villages of Upper and Bulak Cabengbeng Sapah, Sumisip town.

The victims were aboard a vehicle of Agrarian Reform Beneficiaries Development Cooperative Incorporated Tumahubong on the way to a rubber plantation in Cabengbeng people when they were ambushed.

Law enforcement identified the fatalities as a guard Fernando Tantalo, Aligay Renato, and civilians Junrel Langugon, Johnson Delord, and Lugamay Buenaventura.

The eight injured were identified as Alfredo Rojas, Danilo Tonghay, Madjakin Adzar, Mot Abdul, Gilbert Guevara, Dingkong Julibert, Taklindo Francisco, and Bonifacio Jr. Dagodog

About 40 supporters of the MILF commander Dan Asnawi Laksaw perpetrated the ambush, the spokesman said Western Mindanao Command Lt. Col. Randolph Cabangbang.

The MILF has been blamed for the spate of attacks in Zamboanga Sibugay and Basilan last week that killed at least 25 soldiers and three policemen.

Von Al Haq, MILF spokesman, said the recent atrocities were “attacks sympathy” for the MILF, and civilians were killed by indiscriminate shelling by government troops.

He said the Moro rebels stand by the ceasefire with the government despite the attacks.

Malaysian peace talks between the rebels and the government received a major boost in August when President Benigno Aquino III met the rebels Al Haj Murad Ibrahim president in Tokyo to promote negotiations.

The rebels, however, rejected a government proposal for Muslim autonomy, when talks resumed a few weeks later in Malaysia, but said they would continue with peace talks.

Report to Team

Please feel free to send if you have any questions regarding this post , you can contact on

Disclaimer: The views expressed on this site are that of the authors and not necessarily that of U.S.S.POST.


Comments are closed.