John Mccluskey

August 20, 2010 by Post Team 

John Mccluskey, An alarmingly ranger who saw a pair of fugitives in a remote camp in Arizona on Friday was hailed as a “true hero” after his very tip allows law enforcement to capture armed contingent to the couple.

Efforts by the keeper was in great risk. Fugitive John McCluskey had a gun in his possession said he wished to have shot the ranger and arresting officers when he had the opportunity, officials said.

“It’s a real hero,” said Apache County Sheriff Joseph Dedman of the guard. “He got in touch. He was there doing his job when he saw the two fugitives.”

Casslyn McCluskey and Welch were captured after a manhunt for three weeks that made them two of the most wanted fugitives in the U.S. and attracted hundreds of false sightings.

It is unclear whether the fugitives, as it traveled on the run in a beat Nissan. They are suspected of various crimes, including murder of a couple in New Mexico.

McCluskey and Welch are scheduled to appear in court later on Friday for an initial appearance.

July 30 McCluskey fled with two other inmates from a private prison in northwestern Arizona and evaded authorities for at least six states before being captured yesterday afternoon about 300 miles east of the prison.

Authorities arrested McCluskey, 45, and Welch, 44, in a camp in the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest in eastern Arizona. McCluskey Welch’s boyfriend and his cousin.

Apache County sheriff’s commander. Webb said Hogle McCluskey and Welch were standing near a car belonging to a neighboring camper SWAT team swarmed the camp just before dark. He yelled at McCluskey in “down”. When the person did not comply, Hogle said he fell hard.

Welch took a gun but dropped it when he realized he was more arms for the team led by Hogle. SWAT members reminded one another not to handle too Welch weapons if used in the murders of New Mexico, Hogle said.

McCluskey said: “No, the murder weapon has been completed in the tent,” said Hogle. McCluskey also told the authorities that have used the gun shop to shoot if he had been able to reach it.

“He has no remorse,” Hogle said.

Hogle was still nervous about the morning after taking it called the most important of his career. He has served on the SWAT team for six years and was promoted to commander a week ago.

“We train for that, that’s what we expect,” he said. “You try to remain professional and always use their training.”

A helicopter, ambulance, flares, bloodhounds and a high school team who were taken to react to the reports of the wounded officers were not necessary.

It was a quiet close a manhunt that authorities had said was likely to end in a bloody shootout between officers and desperate criminals who thought they were like a modern version of Bonnie and Clyde.

“The nightmare that began July 30 is finally over,” said David Gonzales, U.S. Marshal for Arizona, said last night.

ruse of the fugitives began to collapse around 4 pm Thursday when the U.S. Forest Service investigated what appeared to be a campfire unattended, Gonzales said. He found the silver Nissan Sentra supported trees suspiciously like someone trying to hide it.

The guard had a brief conversation with McCluskey, who appeared nervous and restless. A SWAT team and the monitoring unit surrounded the camp and the fugitives were swarming about three hours later.

A photo released by authorities showed McCluskey was dirty jeans and no shirt, with a state of Arizona “,” tattoo on his chest.

“I hope the citizens of Arizona and the nation can rest easier tonight,” said Director of the state Department of Corrections Charles Ryan Thursday evening.

Authorities were searching through the camp Friday for any evidence that could link to fugitives from other crimes during his time on the run.

Gonzales said the researchers looked at the 700 tips from nearly every state in a manhunt that had agents swarm in the small towns of Montana to Arkansas. Authorities said the trail had gone cold from McCluskey and Welch were last seen August 6 in Billings, Mont.

It is unclear how long they were in Arizona, but Gonzalez said the authorities suspected that she could return to the state I know best. Dedman said the two were in the small town of Eagar near the camp, at some point to have a tire fixed.

Corrections officials have said that Welch McCluskey and Tracy helped other prisoners escape Province and Daniel Renwick private prison near Kingman cutting through a fence.

Renwick was recaptured in Rifle, Colorado, August 1, and the province is in Meeteetse, Wyoming, on August 9.

Renwick and the province was serving a sentence for murder. McCluskey was serving a prison sentence of 15 years for attempted second-degree murder, aggravated assault and discharging a firearm.

Province, McCluskey and Welch have been linked to the murders of Gary and Linda Haas of Tecumseh, Oklahoma, whose burned bodies were found in a mobile home on Aug. 4 at a remote ranch near Santa Rosa, New Mexico had been traveling to Colorado an annual camping trip.

Authorities said the stolen car found Thursday in the camp of Arizona had New Mexico license plates stolen around the time the Haase were killed.

“That’s the best news we’ve had in 10 days. Everybody just broke to mourn for a while,” Sheila Walker, one of the best friends of Haase, “he told the AP on Thursday night.” That was we wanted to hear. ”

The arrests came hours after officials discussed a report presented a series of embarrassing security lapses that allowed the escape.

The prison has a bad faulty alarm system, a post was unmanned perimeter, an exterior bedroom door had been propped open with a rock and the alarms went so often that prison staff often just ignored, as the report. In addition, business practices often led to a difference of 15 minutes or more during the changes along the perimeter fence, said Ryan.

Prison staff said a team from the bedroom door was open because of the large amount of foot traffic. That open door allowed the three inmates to reach a 10-foot chained fence had not been crowned with barbed wire. They climbed the fence and hid for a time behind a building in an area not visible to the staff of the yards.

Using wire cutters, Welch launched the courtyard of the prison shortly before the shift change at 9 pm, the inmates a hole 30-by-22-inches and kept the back fence with a dog leash.


Associated Press writers Walter Berry and Paul Davenport in Phoenix and Tim and Susan Montoya Bryan Korte in Albuquerque, New Mexico, contributed to this report.

Report to Team

Please feel free to send if you have any questions regarding this post , you can contact on

Disclaimer: The views expressed on this site are that of the authors and not necessarily that of U.S.S.POST.


Comments are closed.