Jennifer Hawke Petit

September 14, 2010 by staff 

Jennifer Hawke Petit, Doctor in Connecticut whose wife and two daughters died in 2007 home invasion has accepted the position Tuesday to testify against an alleged murderer, referring to the macabre details of the beatings and bound him with the alleged kidnappers in a while fearing for the welfare of their families.

William Petit, indicating that the second day of trial in New Haven, CT Supreme Court, quietly submitted to a jury aware of the events that led invasion.

Prosecutors argued that Steven Hayes, 47, and Joshua Komissarzhevsky, 30, broke into the Petit family home in July 2007. The men were beaten by Petit, strangled his wife of 48 years, Jennifer Hawke-Petit, and set the house on fire. 2 pairs of daughter Haley, 17, and Michaela, 11, died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

2 conditionally criminal defendants with capital murder, kidnapping, sexual assault, robbery and arson. Both could face the death penalty if convicted.

Hayes is accused of raping Hawke-Petit, and prosecutors charged Komissarzhevsky to be tried separately, sexually assaulting his 11-year-old Petit.

July 22, 2007, began with Petit, his wife and Michaela go to church, Petit released Tuesday. Haley had just returned home that day to visit the weekend with friends. Petit then playing golf with his father and the girls went to the beach.

The plan, said Petit, Michaela, to help his mother prepare dinner.

“Michaela loved to cook,” said Petit, who was wearing a heart shaped Petit Family Foundation pin on his lapel.

The families had finished dinner and the girls settled in the living room to watch “Army Wives” Petit asleep in the sun room, reading the Sunday paper said.

The next thing I remember, said, “to think or feel the ‘oo, ay, ay!” As the blood flowed from the wound in the head.

“I kind of woke up in a dream. … The next thing I knew I was sitting in the middle of the table, his head (and) there was something warm running toward my face,” he said. “I saw two people standing in front of the sofa, the front and a little behind … and one in the rear of the pistol from his side.”

Although Petit said the weapon was not visible, he saw his form and shape, adding that “looked like a 9mm semiautomatic pistol.

Prosecutor Michael Dearington launched a gun as evidence, and Petit confirmed that “the weapon in accordance with the weapons I have seen.”

Petite testified that the suspects told him to lie on the couch and tied my hands at the wrists and legs at the ankles and covered her head with an indistinct tissue.

“I heard one of them said:” If it moves, put two bullets in his body, “he said.

Finally, the suspects drove him to the head, still covered, in the basement.

“I have not heard of Jennifer Haley, and Michael. … I do not know where they were at home, for the most part,” he said.

When he was taken to the basement, Petit had to keep the pole with a rope around the chest and waist, with hands bound with plastic lightning.

“I kind of get in and out of it and slide down the pole,” he said. “My weight slips made my body feel better. … In the end I got the rope untied, and break the plastic. But I was unable to lift their feet.”

Petit recalls that in early tests, one of the suspects, and asked where the family keeps them safe.

“I said we are not safe,” he revealed, adding that “much later, I heard … Jennifer to wear and need your checkbook or a checkbook to go to the bank.”

The cashier at the local branch of Bank of America on Monday revealed that Hawke-Petit, requested the withdrawal of 15,000, she said she needed the money “because she and her family were kidnapped from their house.”

Petit said that for the most part, was very calm “when he was in the basement, but at the same time he heard” three loud noises, like someone threw a 20 – or 30-pound bags on the floor in the living room. ”

“I heard the groans and shocks, and, perhaps, he shouted:” Hey! “I said.” And a voice shouted: “Do not worry, everything will be fine for a few minutes. But of course, is to change the vote … more sinister.”

Fearing for the safety of his family, Peter, are still bound to his feet, jumped into the basement door.

“I just thought, time is of great importance, and I have to ask for help,” he said, noting how they jumped the basement stairs and went into the house of a neighbor, Dave Simcik.

“I started to crawl, but was not very efficient, so I started to roll – all the time shouting” Dave, Dave! “… I have rejected still bound by, knocking on the door of his garage, hoping that he had heard. Garazha up, and Dave said,” I can help you, sir? “And I said:” Dave, I’m I, Bill, call 911! ”

Petit said the police arrived moments after he did at home Simcik. He said the agents asked him who was in his house, and he replied: “girls, girls.”

Pedro said he recalled hearing “whoop” shortly after one of the men in the house and shouted: “Do not worry, everything will end soon”, but said he did not smell smoke or see fire, when he was outside the home.

After the ambulance arrived he was taken to hospital. In general, “said Petit, who has lost between 5 and 7 liters of blood.

Prosecutors say the suspects put gas in various sized plastic containers are gallon in the home – initially filled with windshield washer fluid – to start a fire in the house.

Other witnesses testified Monday about the scene at the Petit home. Simcik stated that he had found lying on the road Petit urging him to “call 911?. The police were already on the scene, however. One of the police officers who responded to the call showed that the staff could not enter at home due to a fire.

After the fire department extinguished the fire, the official said Thomas Wright, he entered the house and went upstairs where they found the body outside the bedroom and the second body in the bedroom, tied to the bed.

The selection of jurors for the trial Hayes was arrested in February when he was found unconscious in his cell and taken to a hospital in the MacDougall-Walker prison in Suffield, where he was hospitalized for a week. Hartford Courant, citing unidentified sources, said Hayes apparently an overdose of medications taken daily.

On the afternoon of Tuesday strange twist, the male juror was dismissed after telling the court he was “confused presentation of the state’s case and seems to be lack of training on their part.”

The prosecution filed a motion for dismissal, and Judge John C. Blue agreed to the request of the defense objections.

In issuing its ruling, Blue, said the jury “so excited that I’m worried about pollution of the jury. … This is an extraordinary event.”

Report to Team

Please feel free to send if you have any questions regarding this post , you can contact on

Disclaimer: The views expressed on this site are that of the authors and not necessarily that of U.S.S.POST.


Comments are closed.