Helicopter East River

October 5, 2011 by staff 

Helicopter East RiverHelicopter East River, A Manhattan sightseeing trip turned to tragedy on Tuesday after a helicopter carrying tourists plunged into the river east of New York, killing a British woman on board.

The police, who responded to the crisis were hailed as heroes after they suffered a dramatic rescue operation – many of them picked up by television cameras – survivors of the helicopter transport submerged and overturned.

The Bell helicopter encountered difficulties shortly after takeoff from a helipad and turned on the water, turning and sinks.

The pilot, Paul Dudley passengers and four made it out on the water. A fourth was diving in an attempt to reach the trapped person.

The passengers were friends of the family of the pilot: Paul and Harriet Nicholson, a British husband and wife living in Portugal, daughter of the wife, Sonia Marra, also British, who died at the scene, and the daughter’s friend Helen Tamaki, an Australian. The daughter and her friend were living in Sydney.

They met in New York to celebrate the birthday of Marra and Paul Nicholson, 71. They were sightseeing and had planned to go to Linden, New Jersey, for dinner later, police said.

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg said the dead woman was trapped inside the helicopter. U.S. reports the name of the pilot, Paul Dudley, director of Linden Airport in New Jersey, who once piloted a Cessna plane made an emergency landing in a park in Brooklyn, in November 2006 after engine failure.

“From what we know so far, the pilot reported trouble keeping up, tried to turn back, but crashed in the water just north of the runway,” said Bloomberg at a news conference. “A tragedy like this breaks my heart.”

“All New Yorkers feel for this family. It is a sad day, and we would not have happened. Our prayers for the dead and for the three still in the hospital, we expect to recover from their wounds.”

Emergency services arrived to see the helicopter skids only shows on the surface after the accident shortly after 15:20 local time, near East 34th Street in Manhattan.

Officials said the fight against t*rror*sm first and jumped into the water. The pilot swam to shore of the river and was uninjured. Detective Martin Speechley of the New York Police told Sky News that the bailout was held under water in very testing circumstances.

“You really can not see more than one or two feet in front of your face, so that most recovery efforts have been carried out by touch,” he said.

Two women, one of whom had a heart attack, were in critical condition Tuesday night at Bellevue Hospital near the crash site. Passengers are deemed to have known the pilot.

Witnesses described seeing the helicopter spin, seemingly out of control after liftoff. Jose Reyes, 58, told the New York Times: “I saw the helicopter starts to spin, and then dropped three seconds, then boom ..” He said two men were shouting for help. “They were screaming, ‘Three more inside.”

Dan Sweeney, a manager at the restaurant of the Club of water nearby, said: “It went down pretty fast, you can view your presentation, you could see the top of it and disappeared just seemed to be trying to land on the helipad y. missed the landing. ”

Joy Garnett and her husband were on the pier waiting to take the ferry from the East River in Brooklyn, when they saw the helicopter. She said she was doing “a flourish of fun.”

“I thought, ‘Is that a foolhardy move?’” He said. “But it was obviously out of control. The body is turned at least two or three times.”

He said people on the pier began to throw in life vests and buoys. “Do not make too much noise,” he said. “It was just a touch and sank.”

The weather was clear, but a little windy at the time of the accident, witnesses said.

Carlos Acevedo, Puerto Rico, who was with his wife in a nearby park, said: “It sank in a matter of seconds as was sucking in the water ..”

Kamgar Lau was walking nearby. “The sound caught my attention,” he said. “I saw him start.”

The helicopter rose from the water hours later.

A British embassy spokesman in Washington said: “We are investigating urgently with the authorities in New York.”

Before Tuesday’s fatal incident, two high-profile air crashes in the waters around New York preceded the introduction of strict new rules governing the behavior of a pilot in the area.

In August 2009 a small plane collided with a helicopter ride over the Hudson River in Manhattan across from the East River, killing nine people, including five Italian tourists.

Hundreds of people on both sides of the river a mile wide witnessed the collision, involving a helicopter operated by a tourism company dedicated to tourists flying to places like the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, and a plane that took off from Teterboro Airport in New Jersey.

A government safety panel found that an air traffic controller who was in a personal phone call contributed to the accident.

The Federal Aviation Administration changed its rules for aircraft flying over the rivers of New York after the collision. Pilots should call their positions in radio and obey the speed limit 161 mph. Before the changes of this type of optional radio calls.

Earlier that year, in what is known as the “Miracle on the Hudson”, an Airbus 320 made a landing after hitting birds and the loss of both engines shortly after takeoff from LaGuardia Airport. All survived.

Chesley Sullenberger, who was the captain of the U.S. Airways 1549, was hailed a hero after all 155 passengers and crew were rescued. They reported a “Double Bird Strike” less than a minute after takeoff and asked to return to earth before ditching in the Hudson. Ferries came soon after to rescue the passengers who were taken from the wing or recovered from river.

Report to Team

Please feel free to send if you have any questions regarding this post , you can contact on

Disclaimer: The views expressed on this site are that of the authors and not necessarily that of U.S.S.POST.


Comments are closed.