May 16, 2011 by staff
Gaddafi Arrest, The chief prosecutor of war crimes tribunal said on Monday it had applied for arrest warrants against Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi, his son Seif al-Islam and Abdullah Senussi head of intelligence for crimes against humanity.
“Today, the office of the prosecutor asked the ICC to issue arrest warrants,” said Luis Moreno-Ocampo in a press conference in The Hague where the International Criminal Court is based.
“There will Qaddafi personally ordered the attacks against unarmed civilians,” he said.
“He ordered the attacks against the civilian population of Libya in their homes and in public places,” continued the prosecutor, adding that “he fired on the demonstrators using live ammunition, heavy weapons against … funerals and snipers positioned to kill out of mosques after prayers. ”
The prosecutor said Gaddafi also used his inner circle and family to assert his absolute power.
“His second eldest son, Seif al-Islam is the de facto chief minister. Al-Senussi, Gadhafi’s brother in law, his right hand.”
A panel of ICC judges will now have to decide whether to accept or reject the prosecutor’s request, based on his record.
Moreno Ocampo announced on March 3, when the revolt against the regime of Gaddafi was less than three weeks of age, who was opening an investigation into human rights abuses in Libya.
His research led to eight people, including Gadhafi and three of his children.
Thousands of people have been killed in violence and some 750,000 people forced to flee, according to UN figures.
Application on Monday was the second time the prosecutor has asked the ICC for a head of state to be arrested. In July 2008, requested an arrest warrant for Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir, which was granted, but has not been executed.
More than 1,200 documents including video and photographs were reviewed in the investigation against Gadhafi and more than 50 interviews conducted and individuals selected for interviews.
The probe took office staff attorney’s 30 missions to 11 states, but her spokeswoman Florence Olara said last week Libya itself was not visited because they do not want to jeopardize the witnesses there.
The Argentine prosecutor said a team of five people from his office completed a 74-page document with nine annexes on Sunday, which was filed with the ICC.
Moreno Ocampo said a third charge of war crimes, including rape and attacks since late February, would be investigated separately.
Founded in 2002, the ICC is the first permanent, treaty-based set up to try those accused of war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide if the defendant’s own country cannot or will not.
The request for arrest warrants come as Gaddafi’s regime offered a truce in exchange for an immediate cease-fire from NATO on Monday, Foreign Minister of Italy, Franco Frattini, said some members of the Libyan government seeking an way for their leader into exile.
Please feel free to send if you have any questions regarding this post , you can contact on
Disclaimer: The views expressed on this site are that of the authors and not necessarily that of U.S.S.POST.