Egypt Soccer Violence
March 10, 2012 by staff
Egypt Soccer Violence, The Egyptian Football Association has canceled the rest of this season’s league matches in the wake of rioting at a match last month that killed 74 people and injured hundreds of others.
The league was suspended less than halfway through the season after the deadly stampede on Feb. 1 in Port Said following a match between Al-Masry and Al-Ahly.
Egyptian FA spokesman Azmy Megahed said Saturday the season will not resume because there is not enough time to play the games before the national team is expected to begin training for the 2013 African Cup qualifiers and this year’s London Olympics.
A number of Al-Ahly players have said they would not have played anyway due to low morale and because no one has yet been brought to justice for the bloodshed.
Spokesman Megahed said that 18 teams, divided into two groups, will play in a friendly tournament in empty stadiums starting later this month. Megahed had earlier suggested that the tournament would help raise money for families of those killed in the violence, but on Saturday he told The Associated Press that it would be played primarily to appease sponsors.
Please feel free to send if you have any questions regarding this post , you can contact on
Disclaimer: The views expressed on this site are that of the authors and not necessarily that of U.S.S.POST.