Cyprus Explosion

July 11, 2011 by staff 

Cyprus ExplosionCyprus Explosion, The Defence Minister of Cyprus and army chief resigned after the attack munitions depot that killed 12 people on Monday, the government spokesman Stefanos Stefanou said.

The blast occurred at a military base where munitions were seized Iranians were arrested. It is the largest island off power station, causing widespread power outages.

“The explosion occurred in the material that since 2009 the Republic of an Iranian vessel that sailed to Syria … There are 12 dead and 62 wounded,” Stefanou said.

He said Defence Minister Costas Papacostas and army chief Petros Tsalikidis had submitted their resignations, which were accepted by President Demetris Christofias.

There was no immediate information on the identity of those killed in the explosion. Stefanou said the victims were all Cypriots.

The Iranian weapons in the burden of Monchegorksk, a boat intercepted Cyprus in 2009, sailing from Iran to Syria in violation of UN sanctions on Iran.

Military sources said they believed the 98 containers of Iranian weapons, be exposed to high temperatures, and exploded.

Stefanou refused to give details about the storage conditions of the material, but said there had been a meeting on the issue last week.

Report to Team

Please feel free to send if you have any questions regarding this post , you can contact on

Disclaimer: The views expressed on this site are that of the authors and not necessarily that of U.S.S.POST.


Comments are closed.