Cynthia Nixon I’ve Been Straight And I’ve Been Gay, And Gay Is Better.

January 24, 2012 by staff

Cynthia Nixon I’ve Been Straight And I’ve Been Gay, And Gay Is Better., It has long been a bone of contention whether being gay is a choice or a compulsion. And Sex and the City star Cynthia Nixon is sticking to her guns after she admitted for her it was the former, despite having to endure a hmosxl backlash.

She has been lambasted by the LGBT community for making her feelings known as a public speaker, but has now spoke out in the New York Times to underline her feelings on the matter.

The 45-year-old who is engaged to her long-term partner Christine Marinoni, said: ‘I gave a speech recently, an empowerment speech to a gay audience, and it included the line “I’ve been straight and I’ve been gay, and gay is better.”

‘And they tried to get me to change it, because they said it implies that hmosxlity can be a choice.

‘And for me, it is a choice. I understand that for many people it’s not, but for me it’s a choice, and you don’t get to define my gayness for me.

‘A certain section of our community is very concerned that it not be seen as a choice, because if it’s a choice, then we could opt out.

‘I say it doesn’t matter if we flew here or we swam here, it matters that we are here and we are one group and let us stop trying to make a litmus test for who is considered gay and who is not.’

And she claimed the hmosxls who are bent out of shape about her feelings on the issue are bigots.

She said: ‘Why can’t it be a choice? Why is that any less legitimate?

‘It seems we’re just ceding this point to bigots who are demanding it, and I don’t think that they should define the terms of the debate.

‘I also feel like people think I was walking around in a cloud and didn’t realize I was gay, which I find really offensive.’I find it offensive to me, but I also find it offensive to all the men I’ve been out with.’

Cynthia is certainly no stranger to heterosexual affairs.

She was involved in a 15-year relationship with her college sweetheart Danny Mozes from 1988.

The couple have two children together, 15-year-old Samantha and Charlie, 9, but they split in 2003.

And just a year later the actress went public with her romance with 44-year-old redhead Christine.

The latter gave birth to the couple’s first child together last February, a baby boy they gave the colourful moniker Max Ellington Nixon-Marinoni.

Influential gay blogger and activist John Aravosis is one of those displeased by her choice of words.

He said: ‘It’s not a “choice,” unless you consider my opting to date a guy with brown hair versus a guy with blonde hair a “choice.”

‘It’s only a choice among flavours I already like.’

And he claimed she was just giving people peddling anti-gay views extra ammunition.

He said: ‘Every religious right hatemonger is now going to quote this woman every single time they want to deny us our civil rights.’

Report to Team

Please feel free to send if you have any questions regarding this post , you can contact on

Disclaimer: The views expressed on this site are that of the authors and not necessarily that of U.S.S.POST.

10 Responses to “Cynthia Nixon I’ve Been Straight And I’ve Been Gay, And Gay Is Better.”

1. OliviaWopwasbunn on January 24th, 2012 2:37 pm

All heterosexual people aren’t alike, so why should all hmosxls be alike? Cynthia said she chose her lifestyle, and that’s her truth. Some women do choose to accept this lifestyle, but for some women, it’s not a choice or a “lifestyle”, it’s their life, as they were born that way. It’s not the same for men, as most men were born either straight or gay. A straight men who was sexually abused as a kid still won’t turn out to be gay unless he was gay in the beginning. I’m sorry to say this, but I believe that being gay is normal. Gay people have been here as long as straight people have been here, and it’s not a mistake. “Homosexuality” is present in the animal kingdom, and in insects as well. Why would humans be any different? I was born straight, and will always be straight, for me there was no choice. Gay men and women who were born gay have no choice, that’s who they are, and they’re beautiful just as they are.

2. je on January 24th, 2012 6:08 pm

I know many women who have been in heterosexual relationships and then have a hmosxl one. I agree with Cynthia. She could be with a man or a woman. What she should have said is she is bi-sexual, because that is what she is. If her relationship with Christine doesn’t work out, she might be with a man again. For many hmosxls it isn’t a choice, but for a lot it is. My friend who is a lsbn said, it’s not about gay or straight, it’s about who you want to wake up next to for the rest of your life. So, people settle down!

3. MrEd7451 on January 24th, 2012 8:28 pm

Gotta LOVE it! More proof that the hmosxl community is just as intolorant as is the heterosexual one, maybe even more so. Here is a woman who has come out as a lsbn (her choice, I’m not judging her at all) and has spoken openly and honestly about it, yet now, those in the LGBT community is lambasting her because she doesn’t agree that she was born that way. Somehow I am sure that Ms. Nixon would have far more insight into her lifestyle choices than anyone else, yet now LGBT spokespeople are trying to tell her she is wrong. WHY??? Because her ideas and decisions go against the radical LGBT agenda of forcing EVERYONE else to accept their view regardless of facts and without regard to the right of everyone else to have their own opinion. At least those I know in the heterosexual community who voice their opinion are honest about their opinions, whether or not you agree with them, and are willing to accept that other people have the right to their own position, even if they disagree.

4. Tdee on January 24th, 2012 8:58 pm

Can’t happen. They do not have a child together. Physically impossible.

5. Arlan0623 on January 24th, 2012 10:33 pm

So Mr. Aravosis doesn’t want Ms. Nixon speaking the truth because it might give anti-gay people something to use against them? Mr. Aravosis, are you seriously telling Ms. Nixon how to be gay?

6. Confused on January 25th, 2012 3:02 pm

Why is everyone abbreviating the word hmosxl?

I’m not trying to be hostile. I’m just trying to understand.

7. kristo49 on January 25th, 2012 8:12 pm

It is a shame that Mr. Aravosis sees a problem with this. Let it be! The only way we will have Gay Rights is to know that everyone is different. Some Gay people may be attracted to both sexes, so in a sense it becomes their choice. Which do they like better? Other Gay people are only attracted to the same sex.

Those of us who have no attraction to our same sex, just must accept that this is how we are and this is how other people are. So, Mr. Aravosis, just let it be. The more you fight “differences”, the less your desire for equality seems real.

I am FOR equal rights – as consensual adults, we all have the right to have a loving relationship with the partner of our choice – heterosexual or hmosxl. No big deal, except for the people who think they have a right to choose for others. Wrong! Our right is only to choose for ourselves.

8. aRealMuthaForYa on January 28th, 2012 8:30 pm

We don’t need the LGBT organization telling us
    how to be gay!!!!

9. Debbe on January 29th, 2012 2:50 am

I do not believe Cynthia can truly say she has been hetero and she has been gay. Sure she is with a woman right now, but that is very different from being gay. Gay people are born that way, and typically are not bi-sexual. They would make the choice to flip flop to the other side in a second if they were a young male going to elementary school and being bullied, but they cannot. Because they have a one way desire. I think she made the conscience choice to be with a woman and she likes a woman better, but still to me does not mean she is gay. Her natural ability to be with either does not to me, give her the right to say she is gay. To me, gay is not just because you were in a same sex relationship, otherwise, many college girls would be gay and all they did was test the waters. I just think that truly being gay is when you were born that way, and when you are born gay, you normally cannot flip flop, it would make a gay person puke to have to be with the opposite sex. So to me she doesn’t have the full understanding even though she is in a same sex relationship.

10. Debbe on January 29th, 2012 2:57 am

Ps, THE LGBT community is not trying to tell people how to be gay as one poster said. Cynthia is saying she is gay and it is a choice. This is not how the “majority” of gay people are, to majority it is not a choice. I get that. For example, the majority of kids born with spina bifida are paralyzed from the waist down, and if I said, I have spina bifida but I can walk, it just kinda would not sit right with the rest who cannot. I mean, GREAT she can flip flop (I guess) but most of us gay and straight people cannot do that, and they just do not want her information messing up correct information on the majority. She is bi-sexual, and apparently she CAN make choices, but most of us cannot and LGBT would like the community to know the facts on a BORN GAY person, it is very different than how Cynthia is. LIKE NIGHT AND DAY. I think LGBT should be able to clarify this.