Canada Post Holidays

December 23, 2011 by staff 

Canada Post HolidaysCanada Post Holidays, A recent fire at a downtown apartment highlighted the importance of keeping safety in mind while decorating for the holiday season. The blaze that destroyed the Esplanade building and sent its three residents to hospital was caused by a faulty extension cord that was used for Christmas lights.

“Unfortunately, it happens all too often,” said Brent Denny, deputy chief of the Cape Breton Regional Fire Service. “Extension cords are one of the things that people will buy bargain.” Ensuring your Christmas lights meet Canadian Standards Association or Underwriters Laboratories of Canada standards is one of the safety tips the Cape Breton Regional Fire Service issued for the holiday season.

“Sometimes they have counterfeit (safety) labels on them, and they tend to overload them and you’ll get these types of fires.”

Lights must also be plugged into a protected outlet.

Candles can also be dangerous. The fire service warns people not to place an open flame near Christmas trees, furnishings or other combustibles. Battery-operated candles are safer.

A fire escape plan and keeping decorations that can burn easily away from lights or heaters is also important.

People should not overload electrical outlets, and should always turn the lights off before going to bed and unplug any cords.

In the kitchen, alcohol can increase the risk of accidents. People are also reminded to never leave cooking unattended.

People who welcome the new year with fireworks should make sure they have a safe product and follow all the safety regulations associated with it.

A bucket of water should be kept on hand and people should never approach to a lit firework. Children should also be kept at a safe distance.

Report to Team

Please feel free to send if you have any questions regarding this post , you can contact on

Disclaimer: The views expressed on this site are that of the authors and not necessarily that of U.S.S.POST.


Comments are closed.