Bryan Stow

October 12, 2011 by staff 

Bryan StowBryan Stow, It took the length of a baseball season, but the Giants fan Bryan Stow reached a major milestone Tuesday in his long recovery from a brain injury he suffered March 31 in an attack outside Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles.

With his family by his side, Stow left San Francisco General Hospital in the morning, bound for a rehab center long term. While the paramedic 42 years old from Santa Cruz is still in early stages of their struggle, according to doctors, recent progress – to breathe, talk, eat and move – he has prepared for the next step.

“Where it will end, still do not know,” said Dr. Geoff Manley, chief of neurosurgery at San Francisco General, in a press conference in the lobby of the hospital. “Only time will tell. Still do not know enough about traumatic brain injuries.”

Stow Family members did not attend the press conference, and Manley asked not to disclose location of the rehab center until they have a chance to settle in. However, relatives have been describing the progress in Stow ads on a site family web.

The family said last week that Stow – which recently began to speak, still can not walk, and retired from medicine remains strong – “is speaking with one voice loud and clear.”

At the end of a recent hospital visit Bruce Bochy, Stow, said the manager of the Giants, “Bye. I love you,” the family said. And before the visit of one of the favorite bands of Stow, Queensryche, looked through the door of his room and said, “They’re all dressed. I’m not dressed.” Later, Stow asked the band to dedicate a song to him.

“We love it when Bryan says things that are theirs, instead of repeating the things we say,” wrote the members of the family. “Once (his sisters) and Bonnie Erin said thousands of people were waiting for it throw out the first ball (the Giants) next season. Bryan said:” I am there. “”

Stow, father of two, died in an attack almost happened while he and his friends left the season opener between the Dodgers and Giants.

Prosecutors said they had been tricked, then punched and kicked, and that a blow had knocked him down and made him to hit his head on the concrete. Two men from San Bernardino County – Louie Sanchez, 29, and Marvin Norwood, 30 – have pleaded guilty to charges of violence, assault and battery in connection with the beating.

Stow had severe bruising to both the brain’s frontal lobes, which continued to swell the day after the attack. Doctors at the center of Los Angeles County-USC Medical removed half her skull to make room.

Stow was transferred May 16 at San Francisco General, where doctors were slowly reducing seizure medications that were depressing his level of consciousness. Stow has suffered a series of treatments and surgeries, including one in which Manley replaced the missing part of his skull with a prosthesis.

On Tuesday, Manley Stow said the recovery is in part a testament to his strength and his relative youth and family care and support.

Manley said the case highlights the need for further studies in the care of patients with brain injuries, as well as the importance of increasing the number of hospitals around the country that can treat patients and Stow.

“I do not think people should see this as a miracle,” said Manley. “He has done very well, but there are many Bryan is stored there.”

Manley said that may take years to Stow “plateau” in his recovery. The science behind advances Stow remains a mystery, and it is unclear how “reconnect” the doctor said.

“You do not grow new brain,” said Manley. “But what we see is a compensation, or plasticity in the repair (which was lost), which allows part of the brain to take on new roles.

“It’s the cure”, he said, “but is much more complicated than that.”

Report to Team

Please feel free to send if you have any questions regarding this post , you can contact on

Disclaimer: The views expressed on this site are that of the authors and not necessarily that of U.S.S.POST.


Comments are closed.