Top

Britannica Stops Presses

March 14, 2012 by staff 

Britannica Stops Presses, After 244 years, Encyclopaedia Britannica will cease production of its iconic multi-volume book sets.  Britannica usually prints a new set of the tomes every two years, but 2010′s 32-volume set will be its last. Instead, the company will focus solely on its digital encyclopedia and education tools.

The news is sure to sadden champions of the printed word, but Britannica president Jorge Cauz said the move is a natural part of his company’s evolution.

“Everyone will want to call this the end of an era, and I understand that,” Cauz said. “But there’s no sad moment for us. I think outsiders are more nostalgic about the books than I am.”

In truth, Cauz said, the death knell sounded long ago. Though the name “Britannica” calls the print sets to mind, Cauz says they represent less than 1 percent of the company’s total sales.

“The print set is an icon. But it’s an icon that doesn’t do justice to how much we’ve changed over the years,” Cauz said.

The online version of the encyclopedia, which was first published in 1994, represents only 15 percent of Britannica’s revenue. The other 85 percent is sales of education products: online learning tools, curriculum products and more.

That’s not surprising to Michael Norris, a senior trade booksanlyst at Simba Information, who says reference books have taken the worst hit with the rise of digital.

“People still buy, read and love print books. But the relationship they have with a novel is very different than what they have with a piece of information they need,” Norris said.

Report to Team

_________________________________________
Please feel free to send if you have any questions regarding this post , you can contact on

usspost@gmail.com

Disclaimer: The views expressed on this site are that of the authors and not necessarily that of U.S.S.POST.

Comments

Comments are closed.

Bottom