Breast Implant Maker Facing Manslaughter Charges

January 27, 2012 by staff 

Breast Implant Maker Facing Manslaughter Charges, The owner of a French breast implant maker that sparked a safety scare faces charges of “involuntary injury”, his lawyer says.

He said Poly Implant Prothese (PIP) founder Jean-Claude Mas, 72, had been freed on bail of 100,000 euro ($130,000).

In 2010, France banned PIP implants made with the low-grade silicone, amid fears they could rupture and leak.

Up to 400,000 women in 65 countries are believed to have been given implants.

Mr Mas remained at his home in Six-Fours-les-Plages, in the South of France, while police searched it – as required by French law. He was later taken to the national police station in Marseilles.

‘Nothing to say’
His lawyer, Yves Haddad, told AFP news agency: “He is not well, he is tired and he is waiting for his doctor.”

Mr Mas has been under investigation since he revealed in a police interview last year that PIP ordered employees to hide the unauthorised silicone when inspectors visited its factory.

It was thought that he would be investigated for manslaughter but although Mr Mas is still considered a suspect, his lawyer told Reuters news agency that “on the charge of involuntary homicide [manslaughter], the judge decided that for now there is no link”.

Report to Team

Please feel free to send if you have any questions regarding this post , you can contact on

Disclaimer: The views expressed on this site are that of the authors and not necessarily that of U.S.S.POST.


Comments are closed.