Afghan Taliban launches surprising attack on US largest military base
May 19, 2010 by Post Team
Afghan Taliban launches surprising attack on US largest military base:KABUL, May 19 (Xinhua) – Taliban militants die-hard in the last series of atrocious attack broke into the largest U.S. military base in Afghanistan – Bagram Airfield – 50 miles north of Kabul, on Wednesday morning, injuring at least five members of the foreign service.
The compromise between both parties, said a statement issued by the international Security Assistance Force (ISAF) killed seven soldiers dead and five wounded attackers.
The stunning attack on the basis that he had many well-kept surprise in the second of its kind in the past two days.
The previous offensive as suicide car bombing against NATO troops leave 18 dead in Kabul including five Americans and one Canadian soldiers.
Taliban militants, in defiance of the Afghan and NATO troops was in contact with the media by telephone from their hiding places have claimed responsibility for both attacks.
In Wednesday’s attack, according to Taliban purported spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid, 42 foreign soldiers have died and several were injured, a claim rejected by U.S. military as unfounded.
Seven insurgents were killed during the engagement at Bagram. Five service members were wounded and a building received minor damage, “said the ISAF statement.
“We are always prepared to deal with the attacks on our base, the response this morning was immediate,” Lt. Col. Clarence Counts, a spokesman for U.S. Army at the base of Bagram, was quoted as saying.
Meanwhile, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid, in conversations with the media from an undisclosed location, described a successful attack, highlighting 42 foreign soldiers have died in the base and several others were injured.
He said the 20 militants equipped with explosive vests infiltrated the Bagram airfield, at 05:00 local time and four of them blew themselves up causing casualties among the troops.
However, the spokesman for the Afghan Interior Ministry Zamarai Bashari, said in talks with Xinhua that the situation at Bagram has been controlled.
Taliban-linked militancy has been rising steadily since the spring.
The militants who depend largely on suicide attacks and roadside bombs, said in a statement earlier this month to begin a spring offensive of 10 May.
The legitimate objectives of the offensive, the statement said, are the multinational military force Afghan and NATO-led peacekeeping (ISAF), foreign diplomats and any person serving the Afghan and U.S. of the Coalition.
More than 200 NATO troops, with most of them Americans, have died since the beginning of this year in Afghanistan, nearly double the number of victims targeted by NATO forces against the same period of 2009.
Military experts including commanders of NATO-led and Afghan forces have been predicted more violence in the current year in the militancy plagued central Asian state.
Please feel free to send if you have any questions regarding this post , you can contact on
Disclaimer: The views expressed on this site are that of the authors and not necessarily that of U.S.S.POST.