$5 Sandwiches Arrest

November 2, 2011 by staff 

$5 Sandwiches Arrest, A mother in Honolulu and her husband were taken to jail and her little daughter was taken into custody after neglecting to pay for two chicken salad sandwiches last week.

“It was the most ridiculous chain of events that happened,” a sobbing Nicole Leszczynski told reporters. “It’s still hard to believe what happened.”

After moving to California downtown Honolulu two weeks ago, the couple was lost in search of a grocery store. Finally made it to a Safeway in the former Air Force sergeant and her husband ate sandwiches while you shop. “We’ve come a long way to the store and I felt weak, dizzy, as if I needed to eat something so we decided to take some sandwiches and eat them while we were shopping,” Leszczynski said KHON in Hawaii.

They keep the container and proceeded to purchase about 50 euros and other items. The sheaths, however, were lost and family found safety when leaving the store.

“When the security guard asked, I was really embarrassed, I was horrified,” he said. They followed the guard up, waiting to pay for sandwiches and a warning.

“I asked to speak with a manager and he said he was against its policy to pay for the items that came out of the store,” he said. “The security guard said they were being accused of shoplifting.”

When police arrived four hours later, that of Leszczynski were read their rights and child protection services Zofia two years away.

“I would not be afraid because Zofia has never spent a night away from us. She had her stuffed animal. She did not brush her teeth.” Leszczynski tried to keep her composure as young Zofia was escorted out, but at the moment had gone to her daughter: “I have completely hysterical. I went to the bathroom and vomited.”

After being booked, the couple was released on bail, 100. They were taken to Safeway to pick up their grocieries and went home.

In the night without her daughter, distraught mother recalled, “Basically we looked at each other all night. We awoke to the morning and knocked.” Zofia was allowed to return home after 18 hours.

Susan Houghton, a spokeswoman for Safeway, said: “It was never our intention to separate a mother from her child. That was a very unfortunate consequence this situation. We understand the outrage. We are concerned about how it was handled.” She went on to say Safeway will review video footage and the police report to determine if charges will be upheld.

Later, Safeway launched a separate statement, “It seems they have not handled this issue as best as possible and we are taking the situation seriously.”

According to Leszczynski, the test was “so awful it seemed to climb and no one could say, ‘This is too much.”

Report to Team

Please feel free to send if you have any questions regarding this post , you can contact on

Disclaimer: The views expressed on this site are that of the authors and not necessarily that of U.S.S.POST.


Comments are closed.